The stadium opened on May 15th 1951, it was a 503 yards, red reinforced concrete track with 24 degree bankings which were eight feet high. The track cost over £8,000 to build. The stadium was large and could hold approximately 20,000 people, including covered accommodation for 5,000 spectators. It was built with the hope of staging all the Commonwealth Games events there, not just the cycling events. The stadium hosted 1951 Festival of Britain events.
The track was built over the old Maindy Pool which was a dangerous old clay pit. The pool was used as a tip and finally filled in 1928. As a result, the track became slightly bumpy due to subsidence.
The Commonwealth Games running track at Cardiff Arms Park was removed after the games and the track materials transferred to Maindy Stadium and re-laid on top of the existing running track.
In the 1960's Maindy was the venue for all major athletics and cycling events taking place in South Wales. The grandstand and judge's box were demolished in 1986. The concrete terracing has been removed and replaced with grassed banking.
The Maindy Centre was overhauled in 1993, a new swimming pool was built and the track was resurfaced with tarmac, covering the distinctive red concrete.
In 2002 a track meet was held as a warm up for competitors in Commonwealth Games which were held at the new Manchester Velodrome. Nicole Cooke of the Cardiff Ajax club was a regular at Maindy and went on to become Olympic road race champion in 2008.
The track is the home of the Maindy Flyers Youth Cycling Club whose past members include Geraint Thomas, Matt Rowe, Eleanor Barker, Owain Doull and Luke Rowe. Maindy Centre is now a leisure centre with the cycling velodrome, a swimming pool and a full size football pitch.
Wiki Commons, Don Green - Legends of the RTTC on FB, Cycling magazine, Tom House