Falmouth - Recreation Ground

Dracaena Avenue : TR11 2FB Falmouth - Recreation Ground : Map credit Old-Maps.co.uk historic maps
The Falmouth Recreation Ground Company was set up in 1887 and constructed a 6 acre Recreation Ground with running track and central pitch which opened in 1889. The recreation ground was a commercial venture and the initial £750 share capital proved insufficient for the project, so further shares were issued.

The first bicycle race was on 22nd April 1889 on the 440 yards cinder track with a crowd of 3,000 spectators and there were five cycle races. The Easter Monday meeting became the regular main event at the ground

At August Bank Holiday 1893, Falmouth CC promoted the Grand Challenge Bicycle Race was held at the recreation ground for the 50 guinea silver cup

In 1900 the Falmouth Recreation Ground Company was re-formed with new share capital.

The Royal Garrison Artillery Sports started in August 1905 and racing continued in a small way through to 1910. In 1912 the Recreation Ground made a profit of £63 13s 8d and paid a dividend of 5%.

There does not seem to have been any bicycle racing at Falmouth Recreation Ground after 1910, but strangely, the 1955 NCU Racing Handbook lists a tarmac track there. Perhaps this was a mistake.

In 1904 the recreation ground became the home of Falmouth RFC, known as the Eagles. The ground still exists and Falmouth rugby club still play there.


Refs     : [p]
Maps    : Old-Maps.co.uk historic maps