The Bunhouse Grounds near the University were owned by the Incorporation of Bakers of Glasgow and part of the Grounds was made into a cinder football ground area. The University used this for bicycle racing. At the 1879 Athletics Meeting of Glasgow Academicals, there was a 2 mile bicycle race. The track was fairly rough and was described as "not well laid".
The photograph was taken during a Glasgow exhibition in 1901. It shows cars which were taking part in a competition which started and finished in the infield area of Glasgow University`s sports field. The banked cycling track is shown on the outside. The sports field and track are long gone.
When the Glasgow International Exhibition was set up in 1901, a Machine Hall was built on the Bunhouse Grounds. In 1918, after the Exhibition ended, Kelvin Hall was built on the site of the Machine Hall. Kelvin Hall was destroyed by fire in 1925 and the current Kelvin Hall was built on the same site.
    [p]
The Glasgow Story, Wiki Commons