Grimsby - Boulevard

Boulevard Avenue : DN31 2PY Grimsby - Boulevard : Map credit Old-Maps.co.uk historic maps
The opening of the Boulevard 4 laps to the mile, cinder track in 1894 was reported by the Leeds Mercury of September 14th. "In connection with the opening of the Duke of York Pleasure Grounds at Grimsby yesterday, a race meeting jointly promoted by the Grimsby Cyclists Club, the Grimsby Nautilus Cycling Club and Grimsby Harriers' Club was held in the evening upon the new Boulevard cycling track, which forms an important part of the Recreation ground."

The Grimsby CC held their championship meeting at the Boulevard on 10th August 1895 in front of 5,000 spectators. There were five bicycle events including the 5 miles Grimsby Club Championship, won by Matthew Brown.

The Grimsby CC meeting on 20th June 1896 was terminated very abruptly because of a fatal accident in one of the first heats. Matthew Brown, the holder of the ½ mile Championship Cup was turning the corner at the end of the first lap when a rider fell in front of him. Brown turned his machine up the track to avoid the fallen rider and his wheel got stuck in the perimeter fence and he was thrown violently against the fence post. He died ten minutes later from his injuries. Brown was a married man 25 years old.

In the Athletic News of July 27th 1896, it was reported that Grimsby Corporation Parks Committee had voted that "no more money shall be expended upon the track, which henceforth shall be thrown open for the use of the public generally."

On 24th July 1897, the Grimsby CC again held their championship meeting at the Boulevard with a crowd of 2,500. The chief event as the 20 miles scratch race for the cycle makers and agents challenge cup.

The Boulevard track continued to be well used and in 1900 Grimsby CC, "the premier club in the town", held their annual championship meeting

Racing took place less frequently and in 1909 Grimsby Charity Sports Club held a meeting and attracted 4,000 spectators. Bicycle racing tailed off at the Boulevard after 1910 and the track disappeared. The Boulevard Park and Duke of York Gardens still exist in the same location as the Boulevard track.


Refs     : [198] [200] [300] [p]
Maps    : Old-Maps.co.uk historic maps