Kersal Cricket Ground was once part of Kersal Moor racecourse, which dates back to 1681, the cricket ground dates from 1847. Kersal was used for bicycle racing on a grass track from 1881. The first race there was organised by the Cheshire Tally Ho Club (cross country runners) on November 19th 1881 and included a five miles bicycle handicap race. The Kersal Cricket Club held their annual sports on May 20th 1882 and a two miles nomination' bicycle handicap race was included.
The North Manchester BC held their 4th annual race meeting at Kersal on September 22nd 1883 with the following races; 1 mile handicap, 2 miles tricycle handicap and 10 miles scratch for the club championship. The North Manchester BC ended up at Kersal after having their sports at Radcliffe track (no longer in existence) in 1880 and 1881 and Sale Botanical Gardens in 1882.
The Cheshire Tally Ho Club held a sports meeting on September 18th 1886 in association with the North Manchester BC. The event had several bicycle races and attracted a crowd of 400 to 500 people. There was one open race, a 2 miles handicap, the remaining races being open to NMBC members only. The races were 1 mile handicap, 1 mile roadster, 1 mile tricycle and a 3 miles open race for the club championship.
The Manchester Athletic Club held a meeting on April 23rd 1887 and included one mile club and open races. The Manchester Athletic Club moved to the Fallowfield track.
By 1892, the September Tally Ho Club meeting was held jointly with Manchester Southern and North Manchester BC. This was probably the last bicycle racing at Kersal.
In 1919 the ground became the home of the Manchester Football Club, the city's oldest rugby club. In 1976, Salford City FC leased the ground from Salford City Council and still play there. The stadium is currently called the Peninsula Stadium.
  [p]
National Library of Scotland