The area around Quibell Park started to be used in 1949 as an open space and showground and a large grandstand was built there for the Festival of Britain in 1951. The Showground became Quibell Park Athletic and Cycling Stadium in 1965 and the new track was opened on June 12th 1965. It is named after the local Labour MP and mayor, David Quibell, who later became Lord Quibell.
The outdoor, asphalt track measures 485m and is banked to 29 degrees. There is an eight lane tartan running track within the cycle track. At the race meet on 22nd July 1950, 8,000 people watched the cycling and athletics meet at Quibell, there were two cycling events, an open half mile race and a novices half mile race.
Race meets were held fairly frequently and from the building of the track, Scunthorpe Polytechnic played a leading role in managing events and held their annual sports there.
In the 1950's the Scunthorpe Agricultural Society held annual Cycling and Athletics sports which featured three bicycle races as well as running races.
The Lincolnshire Cycling Track Championships were held at a1969 track meeting at Quibell. The National tandem sprint championships were held here in 1998 and the Kirkby pair Peter Boyd and Neil Campbell were winners. In 2008 the stadium was chosen as a possible training venue for the 2012 Summer Olympics.
In 2013 there was a fire at the stadium and £2M was spent on refurbishment works. The pavilion and athletics facilities were reconstructed in 2015.
Chris Hopkinson (Hoppo) attempted to break 11 world track endurance records at Quibell starting at 7pm on September 29th 2017, he managed to break 9 records up to 500km.
The stadium has been the home of Scunthorpe Steelers American Football Club. It was also used by Scunthorpe Saints for speedway between 1971 and 1978. Quibell Park is owned by North Lincolnshire Council, the cycling events are organised by Quibell VeloSport, including National Hard Track Endurance League events.