The Southampton Sports Centre at Bassett was built in 1938 and contained an asphalt cycle track 525 yards around, 20 feet wide and banked to 7 degrees. The back straight was 1 to 2 feet higher than the home straight. There was a 400m running track within the cycle track.
Four local Southampton clubs combined to use the new track on 23rd July 1938 for their club championships and NCU races. There was a further race meeting on August 27th 1938 which was watched by a large crowd and the cycle races included sprints, time trials, 1 mile, point to point, devil and a 5 miles scratch race.
The Southampton and District Track Racing Association was formed in 1940 as a wartime substitute for the NCU track league. Competitors were mainly from neighbouring Portsmouth/Gosport and Bournemouth/Poole area.
In the 1970's the track league had a weekly or fortnightly track league. The track was used through the 1980's and 90's but was under-utilised, perhaps because the indoor track at Calshot was close by.
The track was demolished in 1999 when the running track was upgraded to eight lanes.
Jim North private collection
National Library of Scotland