Liverpool Mercury of August 23rd 1875 reported that the Annual Festival was held "in a large field adjoining the cemetery, Southport." The attendance was 6,000 and the sports included a 2 mile bicycle handicap race. In 1876, the track was described as cinder, but very loose and the bicycle races were 1 and 3 miles handicaps.
By 1880 the track was reported to be 5 laps to the mile and oblong in shape with tight corners. A newspaper report commented that "competitors had almost to pull up on rounding the corner by the dressing tent." There was also a large grandstand.
The Southport Athletic Society left Cemetery Road in 1882 and moved to Sussex Road.