South Shields - Gypsies Green

Sea Road : NE33 2JH South Shields - Gypsies Green : Image credit Historic England South Shields - Gypsies Green : Image credit David Maughan
The asphalt track was opened in the 1950's and is 400m with 22 degrees bankings. There is a running track inside the cycle track.

The Newcastle Evening Chronicle advertised an all cycling meeting at Gypsies Green on the 3rd May 1961, to feature team pursuits, devil, handicap races and the NE Clarion Championships. Gypsies Green hosted the BCF Meeting of Champions on August 9th 1969 which included the 4,000m national club team pursuit championship, with Alf Engers riding. Also in 1969, Beryl Burton rode in the South Shields Sports week meeting.

In the 1980's, the Tyneside Track League was held on Monday evenings through the summer.

In June 1992 and 1993, the Newcastle Cheviot held an open track meet at the stadium.

The future of the track seemed uncertain in the early 1990's due to under-use and the local council considered alternative uses for the site. The track league was running in 1995. Lynn Pearson, in her book "Played in Tyne and Wear" written in 2010 notes "the cycle track is no longer in use, and in 2007 controversial plans were announced for a hotel on the site. These plans have since been shelved."

Gypsies Green is now best known as the location of the finish of the Great North Run, a 13.1 miles road race from Newcastle's Town Moor, over the Tyne Bridge and on to South Shields.


Refs     : [147] [p]
Photos : Historic England, David Maughan