The first bicycle race in Wakefield was held on September 4th 1869 at at the Agricultural Show in the Manor Fields, Borough Market. The Agricultural Show then held bicycle races on the Old Cricket Field at Ings in 1872. This venue was used by the Holy Trinity Church who held their sport there in 1876 and included a one mile bicycle handicap race on a 220 yards grass track.
The Wakefield Cricket Club ground at College Grove was used from 1878 for the Wakefield Trinity Athletics Festival. A 2 miles bicycle handicap race was included and the track was one fifth of a mile around. An additional 1 mile race was added later to the festival. The track was described as narrow, small, tricky and not very fast.' The Festival was held at College Grove until 1897 and that year it attracted 4,000 to 5,000 spectators.
The College Grove cricket ground is now Wakefield Sports Club