The Sheaf House Hotel and Gardens was opened by Richard Garratt on the 11th October 1870. Sheaf House was just across the road from Bramall Lane Ground.
The Sheaf Grounds bicycle track was 5 laps to the mile and 8 yards wide. The grounds opened on the 14th April 1879 and the newly formed Sheaf Bicycle Club organised a bicycle event which attracted a large attendance. The Sheffield and Rotherham Independent reported on the 25 mile bicycle race that was held at the meeting.
1879 was a very busy year for the new track with several high quality open meetings and a series of Monday evening events, which continued until the end of November.
At a meeting on 31st May 1879 there were two events; a one mile professional race which drew 21 entries and a two miles amateur event. The press reported great interest "The winner of the mile professional race rode a machine lent by Bill Cann, and manufactured by Messrs. Hydes and Wigful, of this town."
A 25 miles bicycle race for £50 was set up on 14th July 1879 between John Keen of London and W Philips of Wolverhampton. Although Keen gave away a minute he overhauled Philips before half distance and won in 1h 25min 13sec.
The Sheffield FA haggled over the cost of using Sheffield United's ground at Bramall Lane and on 4th February 1880, "5,000 spectators saw Sheffield lose one nil to Glasgow at the Sheaf Grounds, with the pitch described as "having a decided incline".
Sheaf house was put up for auction in September 1882. Bicycle racing remained very popular at Sheaf House through the 1880's but declined after 1900. One of the last recorded meetings was the Sheffield Bicycle Club annual sports on 14th July 1902 which featured a 1 mile open race, a 1 mile members race and a 5 miles race.
Old maps after 1920 show the Sheaf House Grounds to have been developed with a garage, saw mills and a bus garage. It has now been developed with flats, the Anchor Point Apartments. The original Sheaf House Hotel still exists as the Sheaf Pub on Bramall Lane.