Berwick cricket club was formed in 1844 and played on Pier Field. From 1884 until the 1940's they held an annual athletics sports festival which always included bicycle races on a grass track. The sports were usually promoted by the Berwick Amateur Athletic Sports Club and always held between 18th and 25th of July. The local Police sports have also been held on the ground.
Meetings have always been well supported, in 1884 there was a crowd of 3,000. In 1889 there was a "monster attendance" of 5,000 with 2,000 arriving on railway specials from Newcastle. Race entries were also good, 21 people entered the 1 mile race and events were held for safety and ordinary bicycles.
At the annual sports in 1923, Albert White attempted to beat the British ¼ mile grass track record, he narrowly failed to get the record and the press comment on the poor state of the grass track.
The 1946 meeting included ½ mile, 1 mile handicap, 3 miles scratch and a 900 yards race for novices. There was also a "½ mile messenger boys race on tradesman's' cycles for boys under 18, employed by local tradesmen".
The 1948 Tweedside Cycling and Athletic Club event of 1948 seems to be one of the last events at Pier Field.
Pier Field is still used as a cricket ground and is still the home of Berwick Cricket Club.