Camborne - Volunteer Barracks

North Roskear Road : TR14 8NF Camborne - Volunteer Barracks : Map credit Old-Maps.co.uk historic maps
The Barracks drill grounds were used for annual athletic sports from 1889. The Cornubian and Redruth Times of 28th June 1895 reported that a procession of cyclists led by a band, paraded through Camborne to the Barracks, where the bicycle and running races were held. The bicycles races were 1 and 2 miles handicap, 5 miles scratch races and a slow bicycle race.

The track was described as "a fairly large, though by no means excellent track".


Refs     : [p]
Maps    : Old-Maps.co.uk historic maps