Chatham - Football Ground

Maidstone Road : ME46LR
Chatham Football Club was formed in 1888 and their new ground on Maidstone Road, next to the cemetery, was opened in 1889.

The Chatham FC held their 2nd annual sports on June 13th 1891 with a two miles bicycle open handicap race and a two miles club race included. The 1892 sports added a 5 miles bicycle race and the event drew three to four thousand spectators. The annual football club sports continued until 1905.

The Chatham Cycling Club was formed in 1891 and they held their first annual race meeting on July 8th 1893 at the football ground. The bicycle events were a 2 miles handicap race and a 5 miles scratch race for the Challenge Cup (value 25 guineas).

The Chatham and District United Friendly Society held their sports on Bank Holiday Monday 1896 and included a one mile bicycle handicap race. In 1897, this event was attended by 12,000 spectators and included 2, 3 and 5 miles bicycle handicap races.

The Chatham CC held their annual race meet at the football ground on July 1st 1899 which included the NCU (Kent) championship.

The Kentish Independent of August 16th 1901 reported that the Chatham Football Club had been wound up in the County Court. In spite of this, the Chatham FC sports were held in 1902 with the usual bicycle races and continued to be held until 1905.

The site has remained a football ground and is currently the home of Chatham Town FC.


Refs     : [p]