Carrickfergus - Barn Field

Taylors Avenue : BT38 8AG Carrickfergus - Barn Field : Image credit Google maps
Barn Football Club was formed in 1889 by employees of James Taylor's cotton mill, which was known as the Barn Mills. The club played at Barn Field, Taylor's Avenue, Carrickfergus.

The first Carrickfergus Cycling Club sports were held at Taylor's Avenue recreation ground on July 31st 1895. There were three bicycle events, all handicap races over 1, 2 and 3 miles, in addition, there were flat (running) races and field events. The following year, Carrickfergus CC built their own track at Woodbury Road and bicycle racing at Taylor's Avenue stopped after only one season.

Barn FC folded in 1928. Barn Ground on Taylor's Avenue saw cycle racing again when the Carrickfergus Sports Day was held on 4th September 1943 and the event included a 1 mile cycle race. The event was repeated in 1944 but no further cycle racing was held at Barn Ground.

Barn United FC formed in 1954 and took its name from the old Barn FC, the club still play at Barn Field.


Refs     : [p]
Photos : Google maps