Manchester - Manchester Racecourse

Winnipeg Quay : M50 3TY Manchester - Manchester Racecourse : Map credit Old-Maps.co.uk historic maps
There were several racecourse locations in Manchester from 1647 until 1963 but only the racecourse at New Barns, Weaste was used for bicycle racing.

The shortage of good cycle tracks in Manchester was highlighted in The Athletic News of April 19th 1887 "The gravel path at Sale is as yet simply unrideable; the Pomona, which is never good, will perhaps be in a little better condition during the next fortnight". The races seems to have received little attention in the press in spite its popularity for racing from 1887 until the 1890's.

There seem to have been a fair amount of racing on the racecourse during 1887, The Athletic News of March 1st reported on a race meeting at the racecourse which included a tricycle race. They reported "The comic songster Mr J Buckley was there" who unfortunately "brought down the lady who won the tricycle race" she was riding a "Cunard" machine. In April, Manchester Central Athletic Club held a meet and in September, there was a race "for the benefit of the Bolton strike".

In 1890 and 1891, the Salford Police and Fire Brigade held their Sports on the racecourse having previously used Pomona Gardens, which by this time had closed.

The Weaste, Eccles and District Grand United Order of Oddfellows held their athletics festival on 27th August 1892 which included 1 and 2 miles handicap and 1 mile novices bicycle races. The advert in Athletic News includes "All the races will be run on the splendid new cinder track, three laps to the mile."

The racecourse was still in use in 1893 when Salford police held their annual sports on the cinder track; the meeting included a 1 mile open bicycle race and a 2 miles handicap.

The racecourse at New Barns went the way of Pomona Gardens when it closed in 1902 to make way for docks and warehouses for the Manchester Ship Canal which was being constructed. The racecourse became the Erie Basin of Salford docks. Following the closure of the docks in 1982, Salford City Council acquired 220 acres of the docks and from 1990 the large Salford Quays development took place.


Refs     : [p]
Maps    : Old-Maps.co.uk historic maps