Alverthorpe Cycling Club started holding their annual sports on the Alverthorpe football ground on July 29th 1899. There were flat races and the bicycle events were a two miles club race and open handicap races over one and two miles.
The Wakefield and West Riding Herald of August 4th 1890 commented on the Cycling Club meeting the following year "there was a fair attendance, a large proportion of those present being bookmakers."
The football club moved grounds to Lawefield Lane in 1903 and was defunct in 1904. The old football field, behind St Paul's church is now just a field.