St Edmund's was a school or college, on Bedwin Street, which was associated with St Edmund's church. The college had a park next to it, which hosted fetes and sports meetings. Corp's Orchard was next to St Edmund's College Park near Belle Vue on Castle Street and sports were held on this ground as well. Because the two grounds were next door to each other, riders often competed at both at grounds when they held meeting on the same day.
The first bicycle racing at St Edmund's was at the Foresters' and Shepherds' fete on 6th August 1877, where there were athletic sports, amusements and music from the Volunteer's band. With the sports, there was a bicycle race of about two miles', which was won by F Collins, who received a cup, valued at £1, Collins also won the slow bicycle race.
On the same day, the Salisbury United Club held a successful sports meeting in Corp's Orchard, the event include two bicycle races over one and three miles, open to all comers'. The mile race took place on the ground and the three miles race was on the road, starting at Woodford and finishing on Castle Street near the ground.
On August Bank Holiday Monday 1878, the Salisbury Liberal and Constitutional Benefit Society held a fete at St Edmunds which was attended by 3,000 to 4,000 people and the event included a 1½ mile bicycle race won by E Hicks for a silver plated tankard. The Volunteer's band played at the fete and there was dancing, entertainment and fireworks. This was probably the last bicycle racing at either of the two grounds.
The site of the grounds now contains a Wiltshire Council office building and the Salisbury Arts Centre.