Guildford - Working Mens Cricket Ground
Woodbridge Road : GU1 4PS
Guildford - Working Mens Cricket Ground : Map credit National Library of Scotland In October 1886, the Working Mens' Cricket Club for Guildford was set up, because people wanted an alternative to the Woodbridge cricket ground, which cost ten shilling per match to use. Mr Boyce offered the club some ground and Mr Reigate offered to lay it out for £20.

The Boyce family were associated with the Prince of Wales public house on Woodbridge Road from at least 1881 and Charles William Boyce was the publican from 1913. It is likely that the Working Mens' Cricket Club ground was close to the pub and near the Guildford Cricket Club ground. Land for a new cricket ground was subsequently found and a public subscription was raised in 1887 to pay for setting up the ground.

The cricket ground was in use by 1888 and on August 6th the club held a fete with Captain Dale the great aeronaut of Crystal Palace performing his Balloon Eclipse. Bicycle races were held the following year at the August Bank Holiday 1889 cricket match with Ally Sloper Clown Cricketers against 11 gentlemen of Guildford. There were also sports including a one mile open handicap tricycle race and a two miles open bicycle handicap race.

Refs     : [p]
Maps    : National Library of Scotland